Thursday, April 8, 2010

Trabajo Voluntario: More from the New Orleans Second-Line

Photo of Jackson Square by Tiffany Wong

In this follow up post to last week's description of my annual service learning visit  to the Big Easy, I share a bit more of the color and sound of New Orleans.  The photos freatured here were all taken by my students while the video is what I could capture of the brass bands playing as the Revolution Social Aid and Pleasure Club second-line passed me by (Sunday, March 28, 2010).  Go here, here, and here for video of the group's 2009 second-line parade (much better than mine by the way) and here for a sample of something called "Baby Buckjump."

Following the video is a real treat - photos taken by my student Simon Mairzadeh of the Mardi Gras Indians in full regalia.  If you don't know what a Mardi Gras Indian is - I suggest you tune in to the premier of the new HBO series Tremé that debuts this Sunday, April 11, at 10 p.m.















Photo of Professor Ted taken by Tiffany Wong

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures! Consider yourself linked to the Citizen K Sunday Funnies and Arts!

    ReplyDelete